Tuesday, December 30, 2003

One reason...

...that Josh Marshall's Talking Points Memo is one of the most respected, and most valuable, spots in the blogosphere is that he's a first rate reporter. Another, I must admit, is that he tends to avoid the Presidential pissing match in which I take such perpetual glee, usually focusing on weightier material.

When he does check in on the dueling Dems, though, you can be sure it's over something that's worth your attention. This entry certainly is.

Here's the heart of it.

"I don't care if Dean says he'll endorse whoever wins. He's playing the defection card. And that crosses the line.

I don't doubt that it would be hard to reconcile some Dean supporters to another Democratic nominee. But that's not the point. By saying it, he's leveraging it, and encouraging it.

The price of admission to the Democratic primary race is a pledge of committed support to whomever wins the nomination, period. (The sense of entitlement to other Democrats' support comes after you win the nomination, not before.) If Dean can't sign on that dotted-line, he has no business asking for the party's nomination."

You can take my views as you find them. I confess to having a dog in this fight. Marshall doesn't, though, as far as I know, and I take some comfort in finding myself in full agreement with him here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home