Wednesday, January 21, 2004

At ease, General.

When I thought Jean Shaheen stepped over the line with an intemperate challenge to Wes Clark's partisanship, I didn't hesitate to speak out, and likewise, I'm not inclined to cut Clark any slack when he goes beyond the bounds.

In my opinion, his recent remarks about John Kerry's military experience do just that.

The first item I saw had Clark saying ""It's one thing to be a hero as a junior officer. He's done that, I respect that, but I've got the military experience at the top as well as at the bottom."

Clearly, General, you don't respect it enough. First of all, they might all look alike when you're sporting four stars, but an 03 isn't the bottom. Maybe you're confused by Navy rank, but Lieutenant isn't where sailors start from. And frankly, as former lower enlisted, I happen to think it's a very big thing to be a combat hero, rank notwithstanding. You really don't want to make this about battle decorations, do you? Because if you go there, Kerry wins.

And that's Senator Junior Officer, to you...

But it's clearly a line of attack he wants to pursue, because it popped up again.

"You think of foreign policy, it's like major league baseball. I'm the only person who has ever played it. I've negotiated peace agreements. I've won a war," Clark told CNN. "I'm not worried about John Kerry or anybody else. He's a lieutenant and I'm a general."

Actually, honorifics notwithstanding, you're not a general anymore, Wes. You're a civilian. And John Kerry hasn't been a lieutenant for a long time. He's a United States Senator, though, and if anybody's in a position to pull political rank, it isn't you.

As for winning wars and negotiating agreements, the last time I checked, Generals don't set policy, they implement it. That's why some soldiers call them 'brass button bureaucrats." It's called civilian control of the military - one of those pesky Constitution deals - and generals who forget it sometimes lose their jobs. Just sayin...

I've warmed up to Wes Clark a lot in recent weeks. I hang out on, and enjoy, several Clark-centric blogs. I know a lot of Clark supporters visit here. I think he might make a fine Secretary of Defense, or, better yet, a great Democratic Senator from Arkansas.

In political terms, though, Wes Clark is a cadet, and John Kerry is the best choice to lead Democrats in political combat. You're not entitled to automatic salutes anymore, General.

Be at ease.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home