Thursday, November 25, 2004

Before I get too deep...

...into the annual American orgy of drugs (a good chardonnay, a decent sauvignon blanc and a massive overdose of tryptophan in my case) and violence (I've got Da Bears defense in my fantasy league this week - wish me luck), I guess it's worth noting that the holiday was actually introduced for another purpose.

Of course, I'm thankful primarily for my family and all its various extensions, but most especially the Brilliant and Beautiful Bride of Upper Left. Every time I reflect on the continued presence of this extremely wise, perpetually indulgent and endlessly fascinating woman in my life I am humbled, delighted and grateful.

I'm also thankful to be an American, and here's just one of the reasons. A holiday call to a wonderful friend this morning (and yeah for wonderful friends, too!) brought the news that she's babysitting while her daughter, who I've known since she was a wee, waif-like smidgen of a person, is in Mexico for the holiday. No, she didn't dump the kid with grandma for a quick fling in Cabo. She's on a Habitat for Humanity building crew. This while her husband is doing a tour with an armor battalion in Iraq.

This country still produces young people of that quality, young people who serve others selflessly, who endure hardship in hope of bringing a little less hardship into the lives of others, who reflect in their lives the very best of what we're supposed to be about. As discouraging as some of the social and political developments I track around here can seem, we still produce kids like that.

God bless 'em.

And thanks to 'em for keeping me thankful to be an American.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home