Monday, November 15, 2004

Exactly.

Kos does the heavy lifting for me and writes what's essentially the mission statement for this place, as well...
This is a Democratic blog, a partisan blog. One that recognizes that Democrats run from left to right on the ideological spectrum, and yet we're all still in this fight together. We happily embrace centrists like NDN's Simon Rosenberg and Howard Dean, conservatives like Martin Frost and Brad Carson, and liberals like John Kerry and Barack Obama. Liberal? Yeah, we're liberal around here and we're proud. But it's not a liberal blog. It's a Democratic blog with one goal in mind: electoral victory.
I have to admit that I'm a little less inspired by his rhetoric about 'reform,' but that's probably because I've been in and around the Party for a long time and I've seen a lot of 'reforms' come and go. Yeah, as idealistic as I am in some ways, I'm fairly jaded in others.

But while I'm not always happy with the direction of our Party, or parts of our platform, or some of our leaders, one of the principle reasons that I'm Proudly Partisan is that we are a real 'big tent' party, one big enough to encompass differences, and we retain real ways for the rank and file members of the Party to have an influence on the things we might disagree with.
While I'll certainly advocate for a strong Democratic voice for collective bargaining rights, civil liberties, environental protection and other positions that I think are keys both to our identity and our success at the ballot box, you won't find any denunciations of other Democrats as "Vichy Dems" or "Quislings" (in fact, I won't compare anyone to a Nazi collaborator unless they're actually guilty of collaborating with Nazis, regardless of their party affiliation).

Upper Left is just what Kos said - a Democratic blog with one goal in mind: electoral victory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home