Tuesday, December 21, 2004

I wish I'd written this, too...

...not just because it's written well, but expresses my feelings at least as well as I could ever hope to...
...I am against the death penalty and also pro-choice, pro stem cell research and pro right to die. And that view is also perfectly consistent and moral because I simply don't believe that a tribunal or a judge or, least of all, a politician, is capable of making these complicated moral decisions about life and death. If I had my way, I'm sure that some guilty people who deserve to die would live to be 90 (imprisoned, I trust) because of this stand. And I assume that some women would have abortions for selfish and shallow reasons. But until human perfection can be achieved, which is never, these extremely complicated moral issues cannot be dealt with through law without often being immoral themselves.
Damn I dig Digby.

He's also right about this.
Instead of trying to convince people that we are moral because we share their discomfort about our deeply held principles, perhaps we should instead just hold to our deeply held principles and explain why they are moral in terms they can understand. I think that's what reframing is all about, actually.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

rojas lokehlk feedbacks botanical trainers formulation foreground concept terrorism unethical aroldo
servimundos melifermuly

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when catering comics sight needagreed trained prilosec lawyer documenting scramble crodr
servimundos melifermuly

12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home