Friday, January 21, 2005

More on what I missed...

...and why I didn't miss missing it. Wolcott watched, and reminds me that I didn't need to see it at all.
It's ridiculous for Judy Woodruff and Doris Kearns Goodwin (I think it was her I heard nattering) and Jeff Greenfield to wax patriotic about presidents and inaugurals past as if there were some heartening continuum at work when there are snipers perched on the roof of the White House and enough riot police to protect a Latin American dictator...What's on display in Washington today isn't strength, it's fear. Fear the White House wants every American to share, so that they won't mind--will accept--endless rows of men in visored helmets and boots.
Hell, George W. Bush is President of the United States. That's scary enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home