Thursday, January 27, 2005

Patty's story...

...and she's apparently sticking to it.

Statement by Senator Murray on the Confirmation of Condoleezza Rice
Today, I voted to confirm Condoleezza Rice to be our next Secretary of State. My vote today does not excuse Dr. Rice from the responsibility she bears for her work as National Security Advisor, particularly the Administration's woefully inadequate planning for post-war Iraq.

Despite my concerns, I voted to confirm Dr. Rice because I generally believe a president should have a Cabinet of his choosing. I take my responsibility to provide "advice and consent" seriously and consider each nominee individually. I also believe it's important that when America's Secretary of State meets with world leaders, that person has the authority that comes from support at home.
I hope that Dr. Rice will reflect on the valid concerns raised during her confirmation hearing and will adopt a more open style that welcomes all views, particularly those that she and the President do not already hold.

At the end of the day, Dr. Rice will be confirmed, and when she represents our country around the world, she needs to be successful, for all our sakes. I will work with her to meet the challenges our country faces around the world.
It's basically the old "debate stops at the border" argument, which has some merit, although I think this is an extraordinary case. Frankly, I think we benefit when the world understands that there is dissent in the US from the foolishness and arrogance of Bushco unilateralism. Patty, with six secure years and broad support at home, wasn't under any particular political imperative to vote yes, though, so I'll give her credit for a sincere, if a bit too safely traditional, stance.

I can't believe that she's naive enought, though, to imagine that Rice will reflect long about anything beyond the President's latest whim.

No word on Rice from Maria Cantwell yet, but there's this encouraging note...
January 27, 2005 - Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-WA) today announced that she will vote against the nomination of Judge Alberto Gonzales to be the next U.S. Attorney General when it comes to the Senate floor next week. "The Attorney General of the United States, as the chief law enforcement officer in the land, holds a special independent place in the government. While the President selects the nominee, the Constitution requires the Senate to provide 'advice and consent.' After carefully listening to Judge Gonzales during his Senate hearings and reading his responses to questions, I have decided to oppose his confirmation."


Frankly, I'm inclined to accept votes against Gonzales as a reasonable tradeoff for pro-Rice votes. I think Rice is a sycophant and a fool, but I think Gonzales is a criminal. There really is a qualitative difference.

C'mon, Patty. Redemption is at hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home