Sunday, September 18, 2005

Time to reassess?

Motherlode wonders about that Kerry fella…
I wonder if John Kerry just might stand a chance in 2008. Up till recently I didn't think it was a possibility. But perhaps now the country would be ready to admit it made a mistake in 2004. His "skeletons" have been pretty well exploited to their maximum potential by the Rethugs and put to rest, while other Dems would just be fresh meat. Just a thought.
My own strenuous support of Senator Kerry in '04 notwithstanding, I'm not committed to anyone for '08. That's not to say, though, that I couldn't find myself firmly in the Kerry camp come primary time a couple years from now. Fundamental to that decision for me will be the Senator's ability to face his very own question - how do you ask a man to be the last one to die for his country?

Still, those that hastily rule out second runs ignore an important point that Motherlode references - the in-depth vetting that only a national campaign truly provides and is potentially the strongest weapon against the Republican smear machine.

First, though, Democrats have to give up the habit of rending their garments in shame over the quality of candidates we produce. I believe that John Kerry was an excellent choice in '04 who was damaged nearly as much by Democratic grumbling within the ranks (yeah, I've embraced Governor Dean as our Party's leader. No, I'm still not over some of the slander tossed at Kerry by sundry Deaners) as by Republican assault from without. Continued moaning about our misgivings over '04 do nothing to enhance our chances in '08, regardless of who's on the ticket.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home