Monday, November 07, 2005

Tomorrow's election day…

…and while there isn't much going on in the Upper Left with much of a national profile, there are plenty of important decisions before Washington voters. Here's my take on what will appear on my ballot.

Initiative Measures 900, 901, 912, 330, 336 - NO

Actually, there are a couple of these (336 and 901) wouldn't be disasters. A couple others (912 and 330) would be. None of them, though, are essential enough to challenge my general belief that the electorate should elect and the legislature should legislate. Count me as one small voice against a once enlightened populist reform that's become almost inescapably corrupted.

Senate Joint Resolution 8207 - YES

The composition of the Commission on Judicial Conduct may seem like an obscure topic to most voters, but this is a constitutional amendment, and the Constitution is not to be taken lightly. This expands eligibility by including a class of local judges who weren't anticipated when the state Constitution was drafted. It seems non-controversial, but merits your close attention. It gets my support.

King County Proposition No. 1 - YES

I'm in favor of a levy to support expanded veteran's services in King County. Wow.

The Shoreline Fire Department has a levy on the ballot, too. I'm voting YES, and if your fire department is looking for help, I hope you give them the money.

There are two partisan races on my ballot, and I'm perfectly happy to vote another straight ticket. County Executive Ron Sims would merit re-election even if his Republican opponent wasn't as personally offensive and professionally unqualified as the odious David Irons. All the reasons I was proud to support County Councilmember Bob Ferguson in a tough primary race stand, and I'll be proud to vote for him tomorrow.

In the non-partisan race for King County Sheriff, my vote will go to the current sheriff, Sue Rahr, who was appointed to the job by Sims and the Council after serving as Chief of Police in my city, Shoreline, which contracts police services from the county. She's an experienced pro, and no good reason to replace her has emerged.

The only other contested races on my ballot will be for the Shoreline City Council. It's another non-partisan election, but there are some pretty definite factions, largely revolving around differences on land development issues. My choices, frankly, are heavily influenced by personal experience with the various candidates. I've met them all, seen them on the stump, spoken with some at length, been generally snubbed by others. It's a fact that people who actively solicit my support are more likely to get it than people who don't, and that's a big influence on a couple of my picks. I'm supporting one of the candidates endorsed by the local Democrats, but not the one who's also running as "the preferred candidate of the 32nd District Republicans."

My picks are Keith McGlashlan, Janet Way, Bonnie Mackey and George Mauer.

Whether your ballot would match mine or not, I hope yours is counted. Pump up your political muscle by exercising your franchise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home