Friday, June 16, 2006

I've been saving notes…

…for an epic post on Maria and the war, but, well, what Goldy says...
But to those who attack Sen. Cantwell for being pro-war or for having no plan to withdraw, I have to say that this simply is not true. Sen. Cantwell is clearly not for immediate withdrawal; she’s for making the best of a very bad situation by attempting to stabilize the Iraqi government, build its security forces, and internationalize the intervention so as to permit the US to largely reduce its military presence over the course of the next year and a half or so.

Whether this is possible or not, I do not know, but it is grounds for a reasonable debate. Unfortunately, the sense that I get from some people in my own party – people I largely agree with on many issues – is that they do not want a debate. They want Sen. Cantwell to apologize for her vote, to aggressively criticize the Bush administration, and to call for an immediate withdrawal. I understand this, but well… life is full of disappointments.
The next junior Senator from the state of Washington will be Maria Cantwell or Mike McGavick. It's simply a matter of choosing up sides.

Which side are you on?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home