Monday, February 05, 2007

Include me out.

Bush showed up at a retreat for House Democrats to do a little pandering to the new boss...
He said disagreeing with him over the war — as many in the room do — does not mean "you don't share the same sense of patriotism I do."
I don't know about the folks in his audience, but I take some comfort in hoping that they're sense of patriotism is, like mine, very different than that of George Bush.

My sense of patriotism is informed by a respect and affection for the Constitution of the United States. More than any symbol, any person or any territory or possession of the United States, it is the Constitution, the document which enshrines the sovereignty of the people under the rule of law, that we require our public servants to swear fealty to. Bush treats that Constitution as a memo of some vague historical interest, largely unsuitable for contemporary governance.

My sense of patriotism is of a sort that inspires young men and women to enter the service of their country regardless of personal risk, to willingly, deliberately place themselves in harm's way to defend the principles enshrined in the Constitution. George Bush knows nothing of that sense of duty and service.

My sense of patriotism includes a sense of fellowship with my countrymen and women such that when they are victims of injustice or ill fortune, I expect the government, as the agent of our collective purpose, to provide relief, to assist in rebuilding not only devastated cities, but devastated lives. It is a sense of patriotism that looks at the American people, at our wealth of resources, skills, intelligence and compassion, and believes that we can, and where we can, we must. George Bush simply doesn't care.

My sense of patriotism tells me that America is great not because of what we have, but because of who, at our best, we are, and what we may, under the guidance of the Constitution and conscience, we may become.

No, Mr. Bush, you share none of that, and I want nothing of the bundle of bigotry and blindness that informs your "sense of patriotism."

I love my country too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home