Friday, June 04, 2010

Look what the Legislature bought me!


Kinda sorta. It's been a good long while since I've owned a decent six string guitar, but I was feeling kind of prosperous when I took my trusty 12 string into Guitarville for some new tuners and while was poking around I came across a good looking and better sounding Samick G100, one of their Greg Bennett signature models, at a pretty irresistable price point, and now it's mine.

So, what's the Legislature got to do with it? Well, almost 40 years ago I swore I'd quit smoking if cigarettes ever got to a dollar a pack. I didn't, not at a dollar and not at six. But a new dollar a pack tax that hit on May 1st was just the kick in the pants - or whack upside the head - that it took to get me to shake the habit cold turkey. The price of the guitar was well below the money I've saved by not buying smokes for the last 35 days, money I would have literally burned up before.

So thanks are due to the Leg, and to the guys at Guitarville for making me a great deal. I'll be doing a little extra grinning with my picking for awhile.

By the way, if you're in the market for a guitar, amp, effect or any such, Guitarville, a local institution for over 50 years, does a thriving mail order biz, featuring some incredible vintage instruments along with a full line of newer and more affordable axes. If I'd been smarter earlier I might have taken home one of those ancient Martins, but I'm happy as a clam with what I got for a few weeks of tobacco savings.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Terry Parkhurst said...

Would that more people were as creative about confronting the realities of the so-called "sin taxes."

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home