Tuesday, January 25, 2011

While this thing's still on…

…I suppose I should say something about the impending State Of The Union speech, but I've seen dozens of these things and stopped taking them very seriously years ago. I'm sure whatever Obama has to say will be said well and neither satisfy my fondest hopes nor propose my worst fears. Besides, the way the media narrative shapes up over the next couple of days will have more impact in the near term than anything the President actually says.

Me, I'll miss it. Left my pocket radio at work yesterday, and when the speech starts I'll be in transit from here to there for my weekly act of sedition via public performance of folk music. Might slip Steve Earle's "Rich Man's War" into a set tonight. That usually separates the reds from the blues for a minute until somebody asks "Where'd that come from?" and I tell 'em "Steve Earle. From Texas. Made an album with Del McCoury." and everybody nods and relaxes.

I may or may not be able to check in when I get home, but I'll be back...

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Andy D said...

I never pay any attention to the actual speech. I look for the text the next day and read it. Regardless of the party, I think it's easier to actually get to what the President was saying by reading the speech.

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home