Friday, January 06, 2012

Try as I might...

...it's hard to give Chris Gregoire much more than a half-hearted cheer for her lame duck conversion to support for marriage rights. I guess I should acknowledge that it's something more than a political caluculation, since it's pretty hard to imagine any political future for the Governor. Her apparent sincerity notwithstanding, though, and as important as the issue is to me, the move comes to late, I'm afraid, to rehabilitate a reputation marred by years of compromise and capitulation on a range of progressive concerns.

So yay, I guess, for knowing that a bill will get signed if it gets passed, but with Gregoire's political capital ledger now being recorded in red ink, I'm not sure what else her tardy support will do for the cause.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home